Monday 3 November 2014

Soap Making - Adding Texture

Now that you know Soap Making - The Basics, and Adding Colour, you can add a bit more fun to your soap by adding texture. The texture to the soap can act as a gentle exfoliant, and will make your handmade soap even more unique. 
In the past I have used rose petals, lavender buds, green tea leaves, mint leaves, coffee, and coconut to add texture to soaps. You can pretty much use anything that is safe for the skin, think food grade products, herbs, spices, or botanicals. It is important to make sure your texture additive is very dry before using it. Adding fresh flower petals or citrus rind to your soap is a likely to cause your soap to discolour, to go bad, to mold, and to ruin. Dry them completely and they would be great!
Use any recipe you like and once you reach trace you can add in your texture. 
Here I have added about 3/4 cup of dried lavender buds to my soap batch. 
Use a spoon to gently mix the texture until it looks even. For this soap I then separated it in half and made one half purple. I poured layers of purple and then white into the mold and did the swirl technique. Then I placed a lavender stalks over the top, and pushed them down just a bit. 
Here it is 24 hours later. 
 
The lavender buds add texture as well as a bit of purple colour and a nice fragrance.  
A really easy way to add texture to your soap is to top it with whatever you like. Here I added dried rose petals to the top of my pink and white swirled soap. 
For this one I added crushed dried mint leaves to the mix before separating and making half green. 
I swirled the green and white and added dried mint leaves to the top. 

Coming up next - The Recipes
~Jess




No comments:

Post a Comment